Monday, February 13, 2006

Friends With An Ex?

Not according to THIS article.
Or this little tidbit I just read:

Breaking up is (usually) more than just deciding not to share a mattress anymore. While you're adjusting to being single again, try to maintain a little distance with your ex. Continuing your Sunday night sushi ritual is only going to make it more difficult to move on with your life. When you're finally ready to see someone new and are okay with seeing your ex on someone else's arm, feel free to pick up those friendly chopsticks again.

Sometimes you can't just downshift a relationship from sexual to platonic. Admit defeat when it just doesn't seem like it can work out happily. Just wanting a friendship to work unfortunately doesn't mean that it will.

Check out the following list and judge for yourself whether or not you and your ex can still be friends:

If you still have feelings for him, then I say walk away. But if you genuinely enjoy his friendship, then why not?

If you are no longer sexually attracted to him, then there is a chance for friendship.

Depending on what happened for the breakup to occur, if you feel that you are able to forgive and forget, then go for it.

5 Opinions

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they say it, it must be true.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Personally, I *DO* believe it's possible to remain friends with an ex. But maybe that's just me. :-)

6:23 PM  
Blogger deetour said...

I think it takes time. Dr. Phil agrees with that.
http://drphil.com/articles/article/18

7:44 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I don't know about that. I've broken up with girls and still remained friends with them from the get go. Of course, I'm kind of weird about the whole thing and in those cases I've always been the dumpee.

Now, in the fanstatically rare, one might even say singular, case where I'm the dumper, no I did not want to remain friends. But in that case it was because she was really batshit crazy. Not the normal kind of crazy EVERYBODY can go through when dumped, but really with issues. It turned out she was also a bitch of Homeric preportions also, but I didn't really know that when I ran screaming for the hills. As a whole though, that was my worst dating experiance, and not just on her part. I didn't necessarily act in a gentlemanly manner myself. Let's just chalk it up as a learning experiance.

Christ. This 'comment' is so wordy I should have just made it a post on my own blog. :-)

9:47 PM  
Blogger bri said...

in general, no, it's not, but once in a while, it can happen.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home